A few days ago, fellow Swansea University Alumnus and blogger – the lovely CaraDare nominated me for something called the Liebster Award. In all honesty I had to research what it was because I didn’t know, but it turns out its a wonderful little way of opening up the blogosphere and finding out a little more about new and exciting blogs you never knew about and the people who write them.
According to Google Translate, the German word ‘Liebster’ means ‘darling’ – cute isn’t it? However from further googling the word is also used to describe things that are pleasant, endearing, lovely, sweet… you get the idea.
Thank you CaraDare for my nomination! As it is the first day of a new month, I thought now would be a good time to share my answers and my nominations for the Liebster Award!
Questions I was asked:
1. Why did you start your blog?
Back in December 2010, myself and Elena Cresci started a little unassuming new media blog called The Siren as a way to shake things on how things at Swansea University got reported. We wanted to cut away from your typical newspaper and create something fresh and innovative and give other students a chance to write and say what was on their minds. Needless to say The Siren took off in a way we never imagined and before we knew it, we were recognised as a true Student Media outlet and we were winning awards! At the time I was studying my Masters in Creative Writing and found it great to write so freely. I then decided to start up my personal blog as part of a portfolio of sorts as well as wanting to create a personal presence on the internet.
2. How would you describe your personal style?
Off-duty with a geek-chic twist – I am definitely more at home in a pair of worn out Converse than I am in towering heels!
3. What are your favourite and least favourite things about blogging?
Favourite: I love having the freedom to write about whatever I feel most passionate about and being able to share that with other like-minded individuals.
Least Favourite: Sometimes my life is a bit hectic and so it can be a struggle to find the time, peace and quiet in order to sit down and write about something.
4. What is your go-to source for inspiration?
My experiences give me a great source for inspiration, as it does for most writers – write about what you know!
5. Tell me a fun fact about yourself…
I’m a huge geek – talk to me about comic books and I will probably talk your ear off.
6. What are your top places to shop?
H&M – for all my basics needs
Topshop – I can’t help going in as I love the variety as well as having so many great items on sale
New Look – SHOES. That is all.
Next – I adore the childrens section in here; I have a lot of nieces and nephews and I can always find something in here.
7. What is your most memorable travel destination and why?
It has to be my Sixth Form Media Studies trip to Hollywood. It was my second time going to America and I loved every minute of it. We stayed just off the Walk of Fame in a great little place called USA Hostels Hollywood. Every morning there was a HUGE vat of pancake batter mix and gallons of maple syrup, sugar, lemon juice all ready for everyone to make stacks of pancakes for an all you can eat bonanza. The stand outs of the trip was watching Sacha Baron Cohen attend the premiere for his film Borat (he was in a donkey drawn limousine) and attending the premiere showing of ‘Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny’ and of course SHOPPING!
8. Where’s next on your travel wish-list?
There are so many places around the world I would love to travel to, but at the moment I’m quite enjoying discovering the hidden gems the UK has to offer.
9. What are your absolute beauty must-haves?
Concealer, concealer, concealer. I have terrible dark circles so it’s something I definitely need. At the moment I am loving the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer which lasts me all day.
10. Who are your style muses?
I don’t have any particular style muses, but I will often trawl through Pinterest to look for inspiration.
11. What’s on your wish-list for this upcoming autumn/winter?
I definitely want to invest in some classic Hunter wellingtons as well as some knee-high boots to wear with dark muted floral dresses and skirts and chunky knits. Oh how I long to live in chunky knits forever!
11 Facts About Me
1. My full name is Samaiyyah Naz Siddique but people just call me Sam or Sammy.
2. Even though I claim to love fashion, I actually sort of hate shopping!
3. I have two degrees – a BA in English with Creative Writing and an MA in Creative writing.
4. Being Asian, I have an insanely large (and sometimes loud) family that spans across the world.
5. One wish of mine would be to visit New York or Paris during the December month as I am a sucker for twinkling fairy lights.
6. My all-time favourite book would be Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
7. Dragonball Z was my favourite anime when I was younger.
8. I collect comic books and graphic novels.
9. When I was three, I almost fell into a pond after trying to chase a duck.
10. I love penguins.
11. And as you may have guessed, I LOVE to bake!
And now for my nominees…
Nothing Rhymes With Rachel – This girl has a serious makeup addiction and I love seeing the different looks she comes up with.
Pink Peonies – A South African beauty blogger that I have been loving lately and she’s also started up a YouTube channel as well.
The Girl in the Little Black Dress – Poetry, France, Fashion… J’adore!
Cooking with a Wallflower – There are so many amazing recipes I want to try, who knew I could do so many things with breakfast!
Blu Chicken Ninja – A great blog about all the things I love including books, nerdy things and cats.
There are a few guidelines for the Liebster Award:
1. You have to answer the eleven questions created by the person who tagged you.
2. You have to also list eleven facts about yourself.
3. Pick between 5-11 bloggers to nominate. They need to have under 200 followers.
4. You can’t nominate the person who tagged you.
5. Tell everyone that you’ve tagged, that they were nominated
The questions I’d like you to answer are:
1. What made you start your blog?
2. What would your last meal be and why?
3. Tell me a fun fact about yourself.
4. What are you reading at the moment?
5. If you were stranded on a desert island, what five items would have with you and why?
6. Describe yourself in three words.
7. What is your biggest pet peeve/annoyance?
8. If you could travel anywhere in the world or beyond, where would that be?
9. What has been your greatest achievement to date?
10. What is your favourite film?
11. What are your favourite and least favourite things about blogging?
If I haven’t tagged you then don’t worry! You can always leave you comments below if you’d like to answer the questions as well, the more the merrier! And if you’ve enjoyed reading my blog so far, then don’t forget to follow!
Until next time! x